Exco Levi, was born Wayne Ford Levy on June 7, 1981 in Manchester and grew up in Clarendon, Jamaica. Singing is in Wayne’s blood as his father was also an artist and sound system DJ.
Some of his inspirations are the late Garnet Silk, Bob Marley and Peter Tosh as well as contemporaries like Sizzla Kolonji. Through studying the work of these artists, he has been able to develop his own unique sound which emanates deep respect for the musical icons.
After emigrating to Canada in 2005, Exco Levi quickly took hold of the Canadian reggae music scene. His strong writing skills complement his lyrical prowess and delivery. He continues to show his range and musical intellect through songs like;
- “Oh Canada”
- the nostalgic “Sweet Jamaica” and
- the love ballad “Same ole Words”
His songs have given voice to a nation and helped forge an entirely new style of music and rhythm that is revolutionary, fiery, scathing, loving and stinging.
Exco Levi has an ability to quickly engage his audience during his live performances which makes him very appealing. As a result, he is in high demand for colourful collaborations. Some of these include Jah Mason, Busy Signal, Romain Virgo, Marcia Griffiths, Brown Shuga, Silver Cat and Richie Stephens to name a few.
He currently works with Penthouse Records and Sillywalks Music. Two amazing successes to date include the blazing hot singles ‘Mr. Hammer” on NCF and the self love anthem “Bleaching shop” on the Penthouse label, which has been topping charts globally. Both songs have been receiving major airplay by local and overseas DJs. He is currently in production for his debut album project with Penthouse Records.Exco Levi is a determined artist with the technical skills and performance style that is bound to give him more and more recognition. He is on his way to becoming a household name, one synonymous with quality and musical excellence. Could be a Reggae legend in the making.
- Some of his accolades in Canada include;
- Recipient of the Most Promising New Artist Award, at the Canadian Reggae Music Awards (2007).
- Award for Best Reggae Single –“Oh Canada” (2007)
- Canadian Music Awards (2008)
- Best Male DJ by the RMAA (2009)
- Artist of the Year by the RMAA (2011)
- Song of the Year and Best Recording for “Bleaching Shop”, at the Inaugural Irie Music Awards (2011)
- Performed at Jamaica Day
- Performed at Jambana (2009, 2011)
- Performed Irie Music Fest 2011